The Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress is a four engine bomber with a crew of 10 that the Army Air force flew during the Second World War. Used primarily during the European air war, the B-17 could carry up to 8,000 lbs of bombs and with a reduced bomb load had a maximum range of 2,000 miles. Its four Wright R-1820-97 Cyclone turbo supercharged radial engines produced 1,200 horsepower each. Its max speed is 287 mph and it has a service ceiling of 35,600 ft. Named the flying fortress it was heavily armed with 13 .50 cal M2 machine guns. The top instrument panel is from N390TH “liberty Belle” a B-17G which was lost on June 13,2011 just outside Aurora Illinois. “Liberty Belle had just departed Aurora when a fire broke out in the number 2 engine. Unable to extinguish the fire the crew made a forced landing in a farmer’s field and the ensuing fire destroyed the aircraft. Fortunately, all aboard made it out safely and no one was injured. The second instrument panel is from N3509G a B-17G named “Miss Angela”. The Palm Springs Air Museum is home for “Miss Angela”. Both aircraft are g models which have the twin .50 cal. chin turrets built into the lower nose. Boeing built over 8,600 B-17G’s and only twelve of these are still flyable.